Questions I Wish I’d Asked
Originally published in The Chronicle of Philanthropy , January 8, 2019
Nonprofit Finance Fund CEO, Antony Bugg-Levine, reflects on what he's learned in the seven years since he worked in philanthropy as a grantmaker, and offers seven questions he wishes he'd asked himself and his colleagues at the time.
- Why don’t we just give general operating support?
- Why don’t we make more multiyear grants?
- Why do we award large grants to large organizations but only small grants to small ones?
- Why do we favor nonprofits with low overhead?
- Why don’t we allow grantees to keep their savings?
- What are we doing to increase the net size of our grants?
- Why do foundations ask grantees to provide formal written reports, and in a format unique to each of us?
Click here to read more.
Author: Antony Bugg-Levine, CEO, Nonprofit Finance Fund