Support Nonprofits Bolstering Democracy
Yesterday’s violent attack on our US Capitol building scared and infuriated many of us. The assault on our democratic norms and processes – encouraged by President Trump – comes after years of anti-democratic rhetoric, fearmongering, and hate. And the tepid response to real destruction and rioting on federal property stands in direct opposition to the harsh crackdowns on peaceful demonstrations for racial justice that swept the nation in 2020. Fortunately, there are amazing organizations across the US that are bending the arc of the moral universe toward justice. They remain tenacious in fighting injustice, championing equality, and strengthening our democracy, including:
- Make the Road New York is expanding citizenship and the rights of all the people who live in our country.
- Florida Rights Restoration Coalition is securing voting rights for millions of formerly incarcerated people.
- Highlander Research and Education Center is catalyzing a regional movement to counter voter suppression.
- New Jersey Institute for Social Justice is expanding access to the polls and curbing police intimidation.
- Brotherhood/SisterSol is supporting young people to take action to end discriminatory treatment by the police.
- Ella Baker Center for Human Rights is harnessing community solidarity to replace state violence as the foundation of public safety.
We encourage you to learn more about these organizations and consider donating to them and similarly minded nonprofits that are guiding the way as our nation continues its struggle to secure justice, achieve equality, and protect our democracy.